An Aussie burger is a burger with a lot. This recipe features sliced beetroot, bacon, pineapple and an egg, for the world’s most perfect meal.
But beets and pineapple are among Australia’s favourite flavours so we will just assume that not everyone understands.
The hardest part of assembling this burger getting all the ingredients ready at the same time. And then getting it in your mouth. We assure you it is all worth it. This recipe serves two.
- 2 burger buns
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 slices of canned pineapple
- 6–8 slices of canned beetroot
- 1/2 cup of ground beef
- 4 teaspoons of avocado oil or other high heat cooking oil
- 4–6 slices of tomatoe
- 3–6 pieces of lettuce
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- Tomatoe sauce to taste
- Barbecue sauce to taste
1. Mould the ground beef into patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper and set aside to rest.
2. Slice the tomatoes and beetroot and set on a plate next to the pineapple slices and lettuce. This will make it easier when you assemble the burger.
2. Heat a teaspoon of avocado oil in a pan on medium to high heat or, if using a grill, lightly brush the bacon with oil, and cook until done. Remove and let the bacon rest on a plate.
3. In a separate pan, heat a teaspoon of avocado oil over medium heat and then crack the eggs into the pan, taking care to keep them separate. Cook until the edges are crisp and the yolk is done to your liking. Then remove and set aside on a plate.
4. Pat dry the pineapple slices. Heat oil in another pan, or if using a grill, lightly cover the pineapple in oil and cook until lightly golden.
5. Lightly toast the burger bun.
6. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan or, if using the grill, lightly cover the burger patty with oil, and then cook until the meat is your desired level of doneness, flipping once. Be sure to get the outside of the patty a deep brown. When the burger is nearly done add the cheese slice to the top of the patty and cook until lightly melted.
7. Assemble the burger by adding from the bottom up lettuce, tomatoe, beetroot, pineapple, the burger patty, the egg and the bacon. Top with tomatoe and barbecue sauce and enjoy!