Australians love slices, and caramel is one of the most popular and delicious. Caramel slices are available in most bakeries and are often made for school and other fetes. They are distinctive from similar desserts in other countries as they feature desiccated coconut in the base, which gives the slice a slightly chewy and sweet texture.
This recipe will use a combination dark and milk chocolate topping. If you live outside of Australia please note that desiccated coconut is dry, and not the same as the sweetened coconut that is available in the U.S. and some other countries.
There are several stages to this recipe, including the need to cool the caramel in the fridge, so it may be best to make a day in advance of a big occasion.Print
For the Base
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of melted butter
For the Caramel
1 tin, or 396 grams, of evaporated milk
80 grams brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
60 grams melted butter
For the topping
100 grams dark melting chocolate
100 grams milk melting chocolate
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180C or 350 F.
2. Sift the flour and brown sugar into a bowl and then add the desiccated coconut and melted butter. Mix thoroughly. The base should be firm but still slightly moist.
3. Grease a 9 by 9 inch pan or line with parchment paper. Press the base ingredients into the pan so that it is spread equally.
4. Place in oven and bake for around 14-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and let completely cool.
5. For the caramel layer, combine the evaporated milk, brown sugar, golden syrup and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the ingredients are completely combined and the mixture should be a medium thickness.
6. Pour the caramel over the cooled base and bake in the oven for around 10 – 15 minutes. The caramel is set when there is at most a slight wobble when the pan is shaken and the color is golden. Remove and let cool completely. Then refrigerate for at least 4 hours until set.
7. Boil a large saucepan of water and then place a second, smaller saucepan or heat proof bowl in the boiling water. Add the dark and milk melting chocolate and coconut oil to the pan without the direct heat and mix until melted and combined. Pour the chocolate over the caramel slices. Refrigerate until set.
8. Cut the slice into squares and enjoy!