This is a very simple recipe for when you just want to stick the chicken in the oven, without sacrificing taste. It relies on you having a batch of Chicken Salt ready made. I recommend always having this as it can be used for almost anything.
You can choose which pieces of chicken you like for the recipe. I have chosen a breast and two chicken legs. I am not using any oils or butter in with the chicken in this recipe in order to keep the skin extra crisp.
The chips are cooked using a double fry method to get them as crispy as possible. This method takes time, however. If you are in a rush you can always substitute the chips for salad or veggies.
As with many of my recipes I recommend using avocado oil for frying as it is a healthy oil that can be heated to high temperatures.Print
3 tablespoons Chicken Salt
Chicken thighs and/or legs
1 large russet potatoe
Avocado oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste
If having chips, slice the potatoe lengthwise and then soak them in cold water for at least one hour.
For the chicken:
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, or 400F.
2. Pat the chicken dry and rub 2 tablespoons of the chicken salt into the chicken skin. You can also add additional salt and pepper according to your taste preferences.
3. Place the chicken in the oven in a non-stick pan, or use parchment paper.
4. Cook until crispy and browned, around 1 hour.
For the chips:
1. Heat the avocado oil to 160C, or 320F.
2. When the oil is ready, fry the potatoes until the chips are limp and soft, but not browned. Then remove from the oil. Pat the chips dry and let them cool.
3. Increase the temperature of the frying oil to 200C, or 400F.
4. When the oil is ready put the chips back into the oil and fry until crispy and browned.
5. Sprinkle the additional tablespoon of chicken salt on to the chips. Serve and enjoy!