Chicken Parma is a favourite meal at pubs and RSLs across Australia. It is so popular, in fact, that many pubs offer numerous versions of the dish with various toppings. The dish also has as many names as variations, known variously as Parma, Parmi or Parmy.
This recipe is based on our simple but delicious Chicken Schnitzel recipe. For this Parma I have chosen a very smooth tomato sauce. If you prefer it chunky you can substitute chunky canned tomatoes for the strained tomatoes.
- 1 Boneless, skinless Chicken breast
- 1/4 cup of cooking oil or fat
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of panko or bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup of strained tomatoes
- 1/3 of a yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- Fresh basil leaves
- 2–4 slices of mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon of extra avocado oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the chicken breast lengthwise into two pieces
2. If either piece is too wide use a meat tenderizer to thin the piece.
3. Set up a breading station with one bowl or plate with flour, one bowl with a beaten egg, and one bowl or plate with panko or bread crumbs.
4. Season the chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper.
5. Coat each piece of breast with flour, shaking off any excess. Then dip the piece in the beaten egg before coating with panko or bread crumbs.
6. Heat the cooking oil at medium to high heat.
7. Place one piece of breast in the oil and fry until the bread is lightly golden, around 2-4 minutes per side.
8. Repeat with the second piece of breast. Set both pieces aside.
9. Heat the oven to 200 C, or 400 F. 10. Heat the tablespoon of avocado oil in the pan on medium heat.
PREPARE THE SAUCE
11. Prepare the tomato sauce by cutting a third of a small yellow onion and a clove of garlic into small pieces. Place the onion and garlic in a pan and stir until golden.
12. Add the strained tomatoes to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Heat until the mix is lightly bubbling.
12. Spoon the tomato mixture onto each schnitzel, covering the middle two thirds of each piece.
13. Place the mozzarella slices over the tomato sauce.
14. Place some fresh basil leaves on the mozzarella.
15. Put the chicken breasts in the oven until the mozzarella is melted, around 10 minutes.
16. Serve with additional fresh basil. Enjoy!