As with Chicken Schnitzel, Chicken Parma is a favourite meal at pubs and RSLs across Australia. This recipe is based on our simple but delicious Schnitzel recipe.
For this parma I have chosen a very smooth, non chunky tomatoe sauce. Those that prefer chunks can add chunky canned tomatoes in place of the strained tomatoes.Print
1 Boneless, skinless Chicken breast
1/4 cup of Avocado oil, or similar oil
1/4 cup of flour
1 cup of panko or bread crumbs
1/3 cup of strained tomatoes
1/3 of a yellow onion
1 clove of garlic
Fresh basil leaves
2–4 slices of mozzarella
1 tablespoon of extra avocado oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the chicken breast lengthwise into two pieces
2. If either piece is too wide use a meat tenderizer to thin the piece.
3. Set up a breading station with one bowl or plate with flour, one bowl with a beaten egg, and one bowl or plate with panko or bread crumbs.
4. Season the chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper.
5. Coat each piece of breast with flour, shaking off any excess. Then dip the piece in the beaten egg before coating with panko or bread crumbs.
6. Heat a quarter of a cup of avocado or a similar oil in a pan at medium to high heat.
7. Place one piece of breast in the oil and fry until the bread is lightly golden, around 2-4 minutes per side.
8. Repeat with the second piece of breast. Set both pieces aside.
9. Heat the oven to 200 C, or 400 F. 10. Heat the tablespoon of avocado oil in the pan on medium heat.
11. Prepare the tomatoe sauce by cutting a third of a small yellow onion and a clove of garlic into small pieces. Place the onion and garlic in a pan and stir until golden.
12. Add the strained tomatoes to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Heat until the mix is lightly bubbling.
12. Spoon the tomatoe mixture onto each schnitzel, covering the middle two thirds of each piece.
13. Place the mozzarella slices over the tomatoe sauce.
14. Place some fresh basil leaves on the mozzarella.
15. Put the chicken breasts in the oven until the mozzarella is melted, around 10 minutes.
16. Serve with additional fresh basil. Enjoy!
Keywords: Chicken Parma