Rum balls are a delicious sweet and are popular for special occasions like Christmas. They can also be enjoyed all year round. These balls don’t need to be baked. This makes them easy and quick to whip up if you are having guests around, or to make as a present.
Like many Australian dishes, the desiccated coconut is dry and toasted, and not sweet. You want the mixture to be malleable into balls but not too dry or too gooey. Add some milk if they are dry, or extra coconut or biscuit crumbs if they are too soft.
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 395 gram can of condensed milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup extra desiccated coconut for rolling
- 250 grams plain digestive or marie biscuits
1. Process the biscuits in a blender or food processor until they are fine crumbs.
2. In a bowl, mix the biscuit crumbs with the condensed milk, coconut, cocoa powder and rum. Stir until well combined.
3. Roll the mixture into balls the size of your choice, then roll the balls in the extra desiccated coconut.
4. Place in the fridge until firm, then serve and enjoy!