Muesli, or granola as it is known in the U.S., is one of the easiest things you can make at home. Making it yourself also allows you to adapt the ingredients to your taste.
I like to keep it simple, with sultanas, oats and honey. I can then dress it up for breakfast by serving it with yoghurt and berries. If you like your muesli fully loaded, you can add extras like nuts, dried fruits and desiccated coconut.
I prefer not to add any extra sugars. If you prefer it sweeter you can add sugar to the mix before putting it in the oven.
2 cups of oats
1/2 cup of sultanas
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 175 C, or 350 F.
2. Mix the honey with the melted coconut oil, vanilla essence and salt and then fold in the oats. Make sure it is thoroughly mixed and that all the oats are coated.
3. Spread the mixture thinly and evenly over a baking pan. Use parchment paper or oil the pan to make sure the mixture doesn’t stick.
4. Cook until golden, around 20-25 minutes.
5. Let the mixture cool completely, then break it apart into pieces using your hands. You can choose how large you want the chunks to be.
6. Mix the sultanas into the cooked mixture and enjoy!