Avocado Toast is the dish that drew international attention to Australian cuisine. But that is no reason to ignore hearty Mushroom Toast. This is an equally delicious and simple meal that can be served at any time of day.
Mushroom Toast is a popular dish in Britain, where it is often served for dinner. It is even better in colder weather when the umami and creamy base offers warming comfort. That makes it perfect for Australian winters.
You can use any mushrooms you choose for the recipe. I used simple button mushrooms as they were easy to find.
- 2 pieces of thick bread
- 1 1/2 cups of mushrooms of your choice
- 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon of chopped scallion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 of a cup of creme fraiche or sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the butter or ghee in a pan on high to medium heat and, when melted, add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until golden brown.
2. Chop the garlic and thyme into small pieces and add to the mushrooms. Cook for around 2 minutes more and then add the creme fraiche or sour cream. Stir until mixed in and heated.
3. Toast the bread. When ready, spoon the mushrooms onto the toast. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the scallion and any extra thyme remaining. Serve and enjoy!