Pineapple fritters are the perfect summer food. The sweetness of the pineapple perfectly compliments the crispy batter. Pineapple fritters are often served with chicken and chips. They are often sold in the Hawaiian Pack at the local chicken shop or Red Rooster and are a fun treat.
These fritters can be served alone, alongside chicken or fish, or other fried foods such as Potato Scallops or chips. They also work as a great dish at children’s parties.
In this recipe you want enough batter to offer a crisp contrast to the pineapple. But you do not want it so thick that it overwhelms its sweetness.
1 can of pineapple rings
1/4 cup of flour
1/3 cup of cold beer or sparkling water
Avocado or other high temperature oil for frying
- Drain the juice from the can of pineapple and remove the pineapple rings. Pat dry on a paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Prepare the batter by mixing the flour, beer or sparkling water and a pinch of sea salt in a bowl.
- Heat the frying oil to 200 C, or 390 F.
- Dip the pineapple fritters in the batter mixture and make sure it is completely covered. Then drop the pineapple into the oil. Remove when they are a golden colour and let them rest on a wire rack.
- Repeat until all fritters are done. Enjoy!