Pineapple fritters are the perfect summer food. The sweetness of the pineapple perfectly compliments the crispy batter. Pineapple fritters are often served with chicken and chips. They are often sold in the Hawaiian Pack at the local chicken shop or Red Rooster and are a fun treat.
These fritters can be served alone, alongside chicken or fish, or other fried foods such as Potato Scallops or chips. You can also have them with ice cream for dessert and they work as a great dish at children’s parties.
In this recipe you want enough batter to offer a crisp contrast to the pineapple. But you do not want it so thick that it overwhelms its sweetness.
- 1 can of pineapple rings
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of cold beer or sparkling water
- Avocado or other high temperature oil for frying
- Sea salt
- Drain the juice from the can and remove the pineapple rings. Pat the rings dry on a paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
2. Prepare the batter by mixing the flour, salt and beer or sparkling water in a bowl.
3. Heat the frying oil to 190C or 375F.
4. Dip the pineapple rings in the batter mixture one at a time and make sure they are completely covered, then drop into the oil. Remove when they are a golden colour and let them rest on a wire rack.
5. Repeat until all fritters and done. Serve and enjoy!