Zucchini Slice is one of the quickest and most popular dishes in Australia that is easy to whip up any time of day. Think of it as a kind of half bread slice, and half frittata.
This recipe involves cooking the onions and the bacon before adding them to the dish to give it a bit more taste. If you are in a hurry or just prefer not to this is not necessary.
To avoid any chance of the slice getting soggy it is recommended to squeeze out as much of the water from the zucchini as possible after grating it. Nut milk bags are great for this and make it very easy.
If you like in the U.S. or somewhere else where self raising flour is not always available, you can use plain flour and add 2 teaspoons of baking powder per cup of flour. This will give the flour the same raising effect.Print
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini, squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
6 eggs, beaten
1 medium yellow onion
3 strips of bacon
1 cup self raising flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon butter
1. Heat the oven to 180 C, or 350 F.
2. Melt the butter in a frypan and then add the onions. Cook until transparent, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. In the same frypan, cook the bacon. When done, transfer to a plate cut the into small squares or strips.
3. Put the flour, beaten eggs, grated cheese and grated zucchini into a large bowl and mix together. Add the onions and bacon and mix until distributed through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour the mixture into a baking tin that is either greased with butter or lined with baking paper.
5. Cook until it is lightly browned, around 30-40 minutes. Serve and enjoy!